Friday 5 July 2013

Sunny Friday

Hello Ladies,

Today has been a beautiful sunny day here in Kent. Not only has it been lovely and sunny with bright blue skies, the wind has dropped so it has been sooooo warm.

I've also had a very productive day, lots of jobs got finished that needed to be done and also some sun sitting.

First off my plasterer man came to start my kitchen :)
 
 
The mess is horrendous! And don't you find it only needs 1 room to be decorated and the the whole has is affected?
BUT..... I don't care because my new kitchen is moving another step forward.
 
And because there wasn't anything I could really do indoors while Mr. Plasterer man was here, I had to resort to sitting outside playing hooky.
 
 
Which meant that while sitting out in the sun catching some rays, I also was able to finish my Flower blanket. This is the first blanket I've crocheted (apart from a granny square baby blanket I made for my eagerly awaited grandson).
 
I'm quite pleased with this project as it's totally different to any blanket I've ever made before. 
Patchwork, eat your heart out, Crochet is in!
 
 
I've also never used so many different colours in a blanket before and at one point when I had finished all the squares and started sewing them together decided I didnt like it. 
 
 
 
 
So it sat to one side for a few days. 
Then I felt that being my first project, the least I could do was finish it.
 
The more I put together, the more I started to like it. I liked all the different  colours, I liked the brightness of it all.
In fact when I finished it I decided it deserved some kind of border, just to finish it off. 
 
 
I picked this border from a book by Edie Eckman called Around the Corner, Crochet Borders
 
 
It's a lovely book, full of beautiful different edgeings. I chose this one as it seemed to have petals in it that matched the flowers in the blanket.
 
 
 
So thats my first project completed and I am now able to get my list out and see what I want to make next.
 
All in all a brilliant day :)
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 










 
 

7 comments:

  1. Oh it is always messy when you have plasterers and workmen in! Totally disrupts you from your routine.

    The blanket is wonderful, and I am glad that you eventually liked it! The border you have chosen is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hazel. I am glad I finished it now :)
      Have you done anymore to your Pom Pom rug ?
      Sally x

      Delete
  2. I understand completely that "mess" when remodeling. We built our home over 22 years ago and I was forever on clean up detail. It is always worth it when things are completed, and if you are getting a new kitchen out of the deal then you will be thrilled and relieved all at the same time. My youngest daughter has a house that is over 100 years old and she practically gutted the entire place. Her remodeling has been going on since last November. I saw your blanket on the Flower Bed site and commented there, but I will compliment you again on how lovely it turned out. Will you share your source for the block pattern? or maybe you did and I just didn't catch it. I am subscribing to your posts. Please come visit me sometime, the blog door is open 24/7 and everyone is welcome.
    (((HUGS))) Susanne :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sally, your blanket is beautiful. Could you please share with me the link for where you got this fab pattern. Did it come out of a book or from a blog? I'd love to know. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, thank you for your lovely comment. I got the pattern from a monthly magazine called Simply Crochet, issue 5.
      I'd be more than happy to email the pattern to you if your interested.

      Sally x

      Delete
  4. Oh Sally, thank you for getting back to me so promptly! Would you believe I actually own this mag and the pattern is by Nickie Trench! But I think the reason I did not recognise it is that yours is so much prettier and colourfully vibrant than the one in the mag. Just goes to show how important colour choices are and that one has to look at the pattern rather than the finished product. Again thanks so much - blog land is full of wonderfully creative and generous souls like yourself. Keep creating - I'm enjoying following your blog and am glad you've rediscovered the joy of crochet! ��

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your blanket is lovely! Inspiring me to start my own!

    ReplyDelete