Friday 31 January 2014

A WIP finished :)

Hello Ladies

I've finally finished my Blanket.
I started this back in July/August time, when we were
having a new kitchen fitted.
I was so lucky that for the time the workers were
here the weather was good and I was able to sit outside
away from the dust and the noise and start this Blanket.
I probably would have got it finished sooner but I always seem to
have at least 2 or 3 other projects going.

I found the pattern for this Blanket by Nicki Trench in issue 7 of
Simply Crochet, an ideal project I thought for the garden.


I used Stylecraft Life DK. A 100g ball of each colour.
I think I went into a second ball of cream, but I'm not
sure if that's because I used a ball I had already started.
It measures 39" x 51", I just kept going till I ran out of yarn.
It was always going to be a lap Blanket, one to snuggle
with while crocheting and watching T.V.

My only problem I had with this and it's now a lessoned learned,
was that the pattern is so easy and when you get into the rhythm
you can do it without really thinking.
But I put the blanket to one side for awhile, while I did
other projects. When I came to pick it up I quickly looked at the
pattern to refresh my memory and just continued. It wasn't till I got
over half way that I realised I was using the wrong size hook.
The pattern says to use a 5mm hook, which was what I started with,
then when I picked it back up, I just went for a 4mm hook.
Because at this point I was over half way I decided to stay with the
4mm. So my Blanket looks like it has a bit of a ruffle at one end.
But it's ok and from this mistake I now tie a label on every project and
write the hook size I'm using, the yarn I'm using and where I
got the pattern from. This way I hope not to make the same
mistake again.

Now onto NEW projects.
I swore I wasn't going to buy any more yarn, but I have seen not 1
but 2 wraps that I NEED in my life. So I succumbed and late
Wednesday night ordered my yarn for these delicious
projects. Hopefully the Postie will bring it today.
I'm joining in this week with Chrissie's and Marianne's
 Bloomin CAL.
Have a lovely weekend everyone.
Sally xxx

31 comments:

  1. It's a lovely blanket and the colours that you have chosen makes the patten really stand out. Stylecraft Special DK is such wonderful yarn to use with it's range of colours and so cheap too. Have a lovely weekend :O)x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jackie. Stylecraft is such a lovely yarn to crochet with and it feels so soft when made up.
      Have a good weekend
      X

      Delete
  2. I think it is lovely and after a great finish like that you deserve new yarn!
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meredith, so much for the no yarn buy. Ok as from NOW, no more yarn buy. Hahaha.
      Have a lovely weekend
      Hugs x

      Delete
  3. That yarn just keeps on calling us in doesn't it!! Your blanket is lovely though, and you won't notice any ruffle when you are using it. Great tip though on the hook size, as I have had that trouble too and had to do some frogging when I picked up the wrong size hook - most annoying! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Amy, I tell myself no more and then the Postie is knocking at my door with lovely parcels.
      Have a good weekend
      X

      Delete
  4. Sally that blanket is a real beauty! Another one to add to my list of future WIPs...I especially love the colours you used, you make such lovely things! Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Chrissie, that means loads to me as it's your work I really admire and get inspiration from.
      Have a lovely weekend.
      X

      Delete
  5. it's beautiful Sally, you can't tell where you have changed hook size at all, enjoy your new yarn. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda, it was a lesson learned. So much for buying no more yarn.
      Have a lovely weekend
      X

      Delete
  6. That's very pretty and when it is draping over your knees, the ruffle won't show and might even fall out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Una, it's probably only me that sees it as I know it's there.
      Enjoy your weekend
      X

      Delete
  7. Your blanket is fabulous and the colours, so soft and gentle. You are so talented as your other makes are gorgeous.
    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your lovely comment :)
      Sally x

      Delete
  8. Your blanket is really lovely Sally! Such pretty and soft colours. Thank you for linking up.
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marianne. I enjoy linking up, you get to see what others are up to that you may not know or follow.
      Have a good weekend
      X

      Delete
  9. Your blanket is lovely Sally, I love the soft colour pallette. Have a lovely weekend.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Jane. Now to get on with new projects.
    Enjoy your weekend.
    X

    ReplyDelete
  11. The blanket is gorgeous, such a lovely stitch, love your colour choice. Deb x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Deb, now to create more yarnyness.
    Hope you had a lovely weekend
    Sally x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely blanket, Sally. Sorry to hear about the hook # confusion. I hate it when that happens :-S But gladly it was not so bad for your blanket

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Ana, in a way I'm glad the hook issue happened as I learnt from it and now know how to be more careful in future.
    Hope you had a lovely weekend
    Sally x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your blanket is beautiful, I have been keeping my eye on this pattern too as it is beautiful!! I am glad the hook size didn't have too much of an impact on your blanket :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hazel, maybe it's only me that can see the difference because I realise what I've done. But I'm hoping it'll drop out with use .
      Sally xxx

      Delete
  16. such a beautiful colour palette, perfect for those cold evenings filled with hooky play. You should be very proud

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow Sally what a lovely blanket. I love the stitch its really pretty x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I've just learnt that the stitch is called The Peacock Stitch.
      I don't think I've ever seen it before spat from the crochet magazine.
      Xxx

      Delete
  18. Your blanket is beautiful. This stitch is the same as one I used from a vintage crochet book; they called it peacock stitch. Take care xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and I think its always interesting to know what the stitch your using is called. It really does crochet up lovely.
      Xxx

      Delete
  19. It's gorgeous Sally! I love the colours you've used, and I really like the Stylecraft yarns, they make up beautifully and are reasonably priced. Brilliant that it only took 1 ball of each (except the cream) to make such a good sized blanket.
    I do the same thing, I forget what hook I used, it so annyoing as you often cant spot the error immediately. If you hadnt have been so honest I wouldn't have noticed - its only us that see the little mistakes in our makes!
    Truly lovely!
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete